Customer Success Manager
Ably RealtimeFull time
Location: USA, remote
Ably is a tech company that provides developer tools and infrastructure for the realtime internet. Chatting on WhatsApp, hailing an Uber, asking Alexa what the weather will be like tomorrow - all of these things rely on complex software and infrastructure. This is what Ably provides.
Here’s just a few things that our platform powers: HubSpot’s chat and collaboration products, live score updates for millions of Australian Open tennis fans, and live transit updates for three million Chicagoans.
In the near future, Autonomous Vehicles, IoT devices (e.g. connected fridges or environment sensors), and AI-powered experiences will be the norm. But new infrastructure is required to power it all.
The opportunity in front of us is immense. Our mission is to become the definitive realtime infrastructure of the internet while powering and accelerating the emerging ecosystem. We’re on track. Today we deliver billions of realtime messages to more than 75 million people across web, mobile, and IoT platforms. But we can’t rest yet. In five years we want to reach one billion people everyday.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at www.ably.io/careers.
Ably works closely with its customers to ensure their success. We are hiring our first dedicated Customer Success Manager to take over responsibility for all of our large customers. This will involve close engagement on a regular basis to ensure they are receiving the service they require – both technologically and with respect to support. Within this context you will also be responsible for helping them grow their usage of the Ably platform and therefore increase their value to Ably, as well as our value to them.
- As the key internal point of contact for Ably customer engagement your first responsibility with each customer will be ensuring they have a successful onboarding
- Thereafter, you will be responsible for maintaining relationships with our customers, providing regular overviews of the service (eg QBRs), understanding their future needs, ensuring they have access to all the Ably resources that are applicable, and maximising the value they gain from the platform
- Be responsible for delivering results on OKRs/KPIs
- Maintain a deep understanding of the Ably services so that you can lead value-adding prospect and customer conversations, understand their needs, and communicate these needs back to internal teams
- Advocate for customers internally and balance the needs of the customer with the business needs of Ably
- Manage the process around upgrades and expansion
- While Ably has a large set of happy customers, who are well managed, we do not have the rigorous and scalable processes in place that we need. As the first dedicated Customer Success, you have an opportunity to help define those processes and the relevant tools as a foundation of a world-class Customer Success function
- Make users love Ably by providing first-class customer support and service
- Work closely with colleagues from multiple functions (e.g. Developer Relations team, Sales, Engineering)
- Manage the contract renewal process for Business and Enterprise customers
- Have customer service experience and a customer-centric attitude
- Have a thorough knowledge of (or eagerness to learn about) the company’s products and their capabilities
- Have technical aptitude and the ability to understand developer and engineering concepts
- Be able to project manage many tasks and competing priorities
- Be able to manage forecasts and projections
- Engage in commercial discussions
- Build long-term relationships (primarily via remote conversations) with your customer contacts and deeply understand their use-case and objectives
- Onboard new clients, following a handover from the Account Executives in the Sales team
- Work closely with Dev Relations, Engineering, Sales and Marketing teams - motivating them to deliver exceptional customer support and service
- Coordinate Quarterly Business Reviews with customers and manage monthly account adjustments as required
- Have the ability to communicate with key stakeholders at all levels of an Enterprise organisation, from developers to senior engineers to C-level
- Have a strong attention to detail
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team.
To provide the infrastructure required for the next generation of the internet, to tell the world about it, and to support everyone inside Ably to do so, we hire people who are ready and capable of taking on challenging problems in a high-growth environment.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. To really thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with what we value, which is:
- Open For All. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
- Bias For Action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
- Even The Best Do Better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
- Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
- Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
- The greatest rewards lie on the hardest paths. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice. We choose the path to build a truly exceptional product and culture because it always creates better outcomes, and is always what will set us apart.
- A good, competitive salary
- A great company culture
- 20 days of paid vacation, plus federal holidays
- A remote first company. You'll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions/ company-wide Summits which happen on average 4 times a year
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Friday need-to-know drinks and snacks
- Ongoing professional development (training, events, conferences), including an assigned budget
You must have the right to live and work in the United States to apply for this role.
Ably is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the spec exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.