Personal Lines Underwriting Manager
Farmers InsuranceFull time
Personal Lines Underwriting Manager
- Woodland Hills, California; Virtual, United States
- Strategic Management & Administration
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
In this role, the PL Underwriting Manager will work as the Underwriting department’s liaison with the Guidewire PolicyCenter Auto, Home & Umbrella teams to advance Underwriting projects and enhancements. The PL Underwriting Manager will provide business requirements, validate Guidewire PolicyCenter functionality, analyze data, perform UAT testing, and provide training support, among other activities within the Guidewire PolicyCenter program on behalf of the Underwriting department.
Provides staff level administration in assigned regions or zones of Personal Lines Underwriting policies, procedures, practices, rules and other criteria to accomplish Underwriting objectives; develops and carries out programs designed to provide continuous analysis of Personal Lines Underwriting problem areas; evaluates performance of Regional Underwriting operations (includes Auto, Personal Fire and Homeowners Package, Personal Inland Marine and Boats and Mobile Home Policies).
Essential Job Functions
- Reviews statistics, reports and surveys to verify whether current Personal Lines Underwriting operations are consistent with established objectives and policies.
- Evaluates regional control reports and other data; advises Regional and Home Office Management of unfavorable trends.
- Directs and/or carries out a comprehensive evaluation of Underwriting performance in Regional Offices. Determines and investigates Underwriting problem areas; recommends solutions and coordinates the solution with the Regional Office involved.
- Recommends areas for intermediate and long-range research and operational study by the Administration Section of the Home Office Underwriting Staff.
- Coordinates educational and procedural planning with the respective Home Office Underwriting Education Specialist and/or Underwriting Procedures Specialist and recommends new or revised programs.
- Assists the Administration Section with the development of Underwriting standards of performance for Regional Offices.
- Advises Regional Management on the proper interpretation of Underwriting guidelines, classifications and procedures.
- Coordinates with Regional Management to develop or revise Underwriting guidelines.
- Analyzes new legislation and recommends necessary actions for compliance.
- Provides technical advice and assistance to Product Development and makes recommendations concerning development of new contracts and coverages, or revision of existing contracts and endorsements; evaluates the impact of such developments or revisions on the Underwriting function.
- Reviews quarterly Underwriting operations reports prepared by Regional Underwriting Managers and other reports of operations to identify problem areas.
- Advises the Director on the need for such provisions in insurance rating plans and price structures as are revealed by Underwriting experience.
- Projects the impact of all Underwriting activities under Personal Lines control on operations of other functional areas and departments.
- Evaluates regional inquiries using Home Office resources and coordinates with other Home Office departments when necessary for resolution. Performs other functions as assigned.
- Besides some sedentary work, job duties require some or all of the following physical activities: Carrying up to 20 pounds Seeing Driving Speaking Hearing Standing Lifting up to 20 pounds Traveling Reaching Walking
- Required job duties are normally performed in a climate-controlled office environment, with occasional exposure to uncontrolled outside environmental conditions.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. IIA Certificate in General Insurance and actively pursuing CPCU or other FIG approved educational programs.
- Five years in Underwriting including two years of leadership experience or one year as a Staff Underwriting Specialist.
Special Skill Requirement
- Analytical, organizational and process improvement skills.
- Proficiency with the following programs: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.), SharePoint and Box, Adobe.
- Experience with P&C Insurance and Guidewire PolicyCenter implementation. Prior experience as a lead or subject matter expert on Guidewire PolicyCenter release projects with responsibility writing requirements and reviewing test objectives.
- Strong understanding of core Guidewire PolicyCenter functionalities such as Underwriting Issues, Contingencies, hardstops, and permissions.
- Strong familiarity with Personal Lines underwriting guidelines, concepts and business practices (Auto, Home, Umbrella).
Other Locations: United States, Virtual