Senior Accountant (Remote) (Remote)
- Full-Time in United States – Remote OK – Finance
Kanopy is a video streaming platform that brings people together through film. By partnering with universities and libraries, we’ve made it possible to offer free access to the world’s top film collection for millions of people. We’re growing at an incredible rate and are looking for the right Senior Accountant to come and join our team as we continue to scale our efforts.
About the Role
At Kanopy, we really believe in the power of film. We are looking for a high-performing, passionate and team-oriented Senior Accountant to help us propel both classic and modern motion pictures that spark discourse, raise awareness, and educate the world through the most accessible form of media: film. The Senior Accountant, a key position within the Finance & Accounting team, will be the go-to person completing the day-to-day accounting tasks and leading the charge through month-end close duties. This role reports to the Controller, and will work very closely with both the Controller and Accounting Assistants on a daily basis to stay current with all deadlines & projects. The Senior Accountant will manage, indirectly initially but eventually directly, 2-3 Accounting Assistants. This position will work with many other departments within Kanopy, and will be empowered to make meaningful contributions by way of proposing change, tightening operations, and enhancing the Finance & Accounting team’s core functions.
- Execute the month-end close process and associated analyses, reconciliations, journal entries, and adjustments in adherent to Close Deadlines
- Assist with calculation of monthly & quarterly royalties expense, track delivery against advances & minimum guarantees, and coordinate regularly with Content team on adjustments to ensure in lock-step each month
- Record monthly accruals/deferrals, payroll, non-routine bank activity, fixed assets, amortization/depreciation, etc.
- Lead for expense reports & corporate credit card activity, with Controller as threshold approver
- Act as a resource/mentor to accounting staff in areas of A/R, A/P, bank activity and reconciliations, and maintenance of various 3rd party connected systems
- Co-manage A/R function alongside Controller to ensure timely & accurate collections, and minimize bad debts & DSO
- Oversee operational data from various billing/revenue system platforms to ensure data integrity and accuracy. Perform reconciliations to ensure all transactions flow properly across APIs/systems and tie-out on monthly basis
- Assist Controller with annual audit review, as well as quarterly & annual tax filings
- Dedicate time weekly on an ongoing basis to ad hoc or cleanup projects alongside the Controller, and maintain progress tracking of milestones
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required
- 3+ years of progressive accounting experience in relevant industry (tech/software, streaming, other service) OR public accounting required
- Thorough knowledge of G/L accounting processes (balance sheet recs, financial statement analysis, payroll, revenue/expense accruals, month-end close checklist duties, etc.) required
- Proven experience assisting or managing Accounts Receivable function for high # of active customers
- Advanced Excel skills (large data manipulation, VLOOKUP, SUMIF, Pivot Tables, Conditional Formatting)
- Adaptive and change-oriented, seeks to improve processes and tackles new projects with enthusiasm
- Figure it out mentality and driven to independently solve ambiguous problems (while also knowing the team is always here to help)
- Effective time-management skills, and can prioritize tasks amidst several competing priorities to meet key deadlines on-time
- Experience with NetSuite highly preferred
- Familiarity with other systems such as Xero, Expensify, Salesforce, JIRA a plus
- Experience with royalties and advances/guarantees accounting a plus
- CPA certification a plus
This position is remote based and comes with a competitive salary & benefits package, including full health coverage and 4 weeks vacation. At Kanopy, we look for focused and results driven people looking to make an impact and contribute to our growing team. Bonus points to those that have a good sense of humor, love for film, or an interest in education.