Trending News Manager
Trending News Manager
Truthout is seeking a Trending News Manager to oversee our growing trending news department.
You’re an experienced editor and team leader who is passionate about progressive politics and avidly follows breaking news and social media responses to it. You enjoy fast-paced tasks and are experienced with managing quick, time-sensitive projects. You understand how news stories develop and evolve. You’re at home on Facebook and Twitter, follow influential organizations and people on social media, and understand the growing importance of social media as an entry point for traffic. You have broad familiarity with a wide range of topics including national politics, activist movements in the U.S., judicial processes, U.S. foreign policy, and more. You are deeply devoted to the values of racial, economic, social, environmental and disability justice, as well as intersectional feminism, anti-imperialism, prison abolition and anti-colonialism. You’re interested in increasing the reach of independent, nonprofit news in an increasingly corporate media landscape, and you’re ready to use your skills to further Truthout’s mission.
Truthout is a nonprofit news organization dedicated to providing independent reporting and commentary on a diverse range of social justice issues. Since our founding in 2000, we have anchored our work in principles of accuracy, transparency, and independence from the influence of corporate and partisan forces.
Truthout is committed to a vision of journalism in pursuit of justice. We understand that courageous journalism can and does drive social transformation. Through our work, we reveal systemic injustice; provide a platform for powerful ideas; elevate authentic storytelling; and develop journalistic practices that align with our dedication to accountability, equity and integrity. We believe in building the world we want to live in — within our organization, through our journalistic work, and through our work’s impact on society.
As Truthout’s Trending News Manager you will lead a small team to produce multiple daily trending news stories on a quick timeline. You will generally be responsible for editing and fact-checking six or more pieces (no longer than 500 words apiece) on the top news of the day, each weekday. You will utilize social listening tools to identify relevant trending topics and edit and fact-check quick-turnaround pieces around them. Working with our social media team, you will be responsible for overseeing the text, supporting material (tweet embeds, quotes etc.), the story’s image, headline and publication of each piece in WordPress.
You will use Google Analytics and Facebook Insights to engage in rigorous analysis of your own work and constantly strive to improve its impact.
- Dependable, deadline-driven and punctual;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Ability to work with quick-turnaround material on a regular schedule;
- At least 5 years of professional editing experience;
- Some flexibility to occasionally work a night or weekend day (for an election or other major event), with comp time;
- Enthusiastic and passionate about Truthout’s work;
- Already established practices of very frequent monitoring of Facebook, Reddit, Twitter and Instagram;
- Experience creating, editing or overseeing content with significant reach;
- Well versed in a wide range of topics including electoral politics, activist movements in the U.S., judicial and legislative processes, and U.S. foreign policy;
- Ability to thrive in collaborative spaces;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a very high level of detail;
- Able to adapt and multi-task;
- Enjoys working both independently and as part of a small team;
- Experience working with both Word and shared Google documents and spreadsheets
- Familiar with the broader social media landscape of online news publications;
- Able to communicate in a friendly, thoughtful and effective manner via Slack, phone, Zoom and email;
- Have reliable access to the internet during specified work hours.
- Experience with website and social media analytics, including Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Sprout Social and/or CrowdTangle;
- Experience with social listening tools, including BuzzSumo;
- Basic knowledge of WordPress;
- A demonstrable body of journalistic work that our team can evaluate to decide if you’re a good fit for the Truthout team.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health care, generous PTO and holidays, parental leave, sabbatical, 401(k), cell phone and internet stipend.
This is a fully remote, work-from-home position, and applicants are welcome from anywhere in the United States. BIPOC, women, disabled, queer, trans, nonbinary and gender-nonconforming people are encouraged to apply.