Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
Epilepsy FoundationFull time
Title: Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
- Location: United States
The Epilepsy Foundation’s volunteer team is expanding and standardizing across the country on both the national and local level. The primary purpose of the volunteer team is to build the capacity of the Epilepsy Foundation staff by utilizing volunteers to help advocate and spread awareness, to organize and run events, to fulfill our mission through programming and research, and to fundraise so we can make a bigger impact.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Volunteer Engagement, the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator is responsible for advancing the mission of the organization through engaging and managing volunteers across the country and supporting in the development of processes and procedures for high quality volunteer management. S/he will think strategically, make recommendations, offer creative solutions, utilize technology platforms, and implement best practices to continually grow and improve the Epilepsy Foundation’s volunteer team.
The ideal candidate will have at least 1-3 years of experience working in public health, nonprofit and/or volunteer management or relevant experience as a volunteer. S/he should have a proven record of working successfully with volunteers, be a self-starter with a strong ability to work as part of a team, be process driven, be optimistic and enthusiastic, and have a willingness to pitch in and do whatever is needed to help ensure high quality volunteer management across the Epilepsy Foundation’s network.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implements goals and objectives for the nationwide volunteer initiative, which reflect the mission of the organization.
- Collaborates cross-departmentally with the Epilepsy Foundation’s teams to support in the creation and execution of best practice volunteer management
- Engages, trains and manages relationships with volunteers to ensure successful volunteer role execution with a priority on volunteer opportunities that have a focus on eliminating stigma and ignorance about the epilepsies.
- Works closely with the Senior Manager of Volunteer Engagement to improve processes, increase volunteer engagement, and ensure objectives are met across the organization.
- Conducts national and local outreach to promote volunteer initiatives and to gain community support of the program and the Epilepsy Foundation.
- Acts as a liaison to the social media team to support in volunteer recruitment.
- Implements best practices for volunteer leadership development, increased participation, and drives and encourages creativity and innovation of all volunteers.
- Provides day to day over-sight as needed for supporting activities to meet objectives including understanding and management of the VolunteerHub, the Epilepsy Foundation’s volunteer management platform, and assisting staff members with volunteer related support.
- Assists the Vice President of Community Engagement with administrative support including designing presentation materials needed for the Community Engagement team.
- Support Senior Manager of Volunteer Engagement with providing ongoing evaluation of the programs and services delivered by volunteers and implements improvements as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 1-3 years’ experience working in a not for profit service-based organization or other relevant work experience which contributes to this position including volunteer work.
- Experience working with volunteers and diverse populations.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Has a strong desire to serve others and give back to the community.
- Excellent at communicating with the public, volunteers, community partners, and staff members both verbally and in writing in a timely and comprehensive manner.
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups of people.
- Able to work in a diverse team environment but also independently.
- Ability to recruit, train and motivate community-based volunteers.
- Can prioritize tasks, track details, follow through and meet deadlines.
- Solid relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
- Outcome driven; strong project management skills and ability or willingness to learn how to use project management platforms.
- Excellent computer skills: in-depth knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PPT, email, database/CRM platforms, and VolunteerHub or other volunteer management software.
- Solid organizational skills: the ability to work productively in a fast-paced, detail oriented, flexible and collaborative environment, and the ability to manage a multi-faceted workload.
- Experience working with social media and graphic design skills are a plus but not required.
- Must demonstrate legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Must pass applicable pre-employment background screening.
- This position will be fully remote and is open to candidates from across the United States. Pending health and safety conditions, candidates local to the Epilepsy Foundation’s headquarter office in Landover, MD will have the option to work at the office