National Communications Manager
City YearFull time
National Communications Manager, Alumni Audience
City Year Headquarter Marketing-Communications (MarComm) Department is hiring a national communications manager for its diverse, dynamic and nimble five-person Content Team that is focused on human-centered, data-rich, relevant and engaging storytelling across a variety of platforms.
The HQ Content Team develops, creates and shares external content for diverse audiences: education, national service and nonprofit thought leaders; corporate, philanthropic and private investors; potential and current AmeriCorps members; school district and other community partners; and nearly 35,000 alumni. Each team member develops specific audience/subject area expertise while also contributing as a communications generalist, sharing City Year’s work to help advance educational equity and strengthen City Year’s positioning as an education innovator and collaborative partner.
The National Communications Manager, Alumni Audience, will play a unique role within the MarComm department. This manager will work closely with City Year’s Alumni Experience Director, a new internal communications team, and other departments to co-create and help execute an integrated engagement plan that supports and celebrates our alumni in new ways—including creating more content and connection points specifically for the alumni audience.
Our goal is to engage and support our alumni as they maintain a lifelong relationship to each other and to City Year. We seek to highlight our alumni’s continued service to their communities; provide a platform for their thought leadership, entrepreneurialism and specialized knowledge; build networks and opportunities for their professional growth and mentorship; and support their efforts to strengthen City Year, including inspiring young adults to serve.
City Year’s alumni are leading and serving across the country in a wide array of professions: education, business, law, medicine, social enterprise and government, among others. Our alums have launched their own companies and nonprofits, serve as elected officials and continue to be highly engaged in their communities, whatever their career path. We believe our alumni are critical to the future success of our organization and we aim to provide them with resources and networks that enable them to continue to lead and serve long after their AmeriCorps year is over.
Led and supported by the Senior Communications Director, the HQ Content Team works on initiatives across departments, disciplines and our 29 U.S. sites.
- Source, develop, write and edit stories and other content focused on and for alumni audiences, with opportunities to serve as project lead on specific initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Alumni Experience Director, VP of Internal Communications, and other relevant teams to design and implement a multi-year engagement strategy aimed at improving alumni communications; highlighting ongoing alumni supports and benefits offered by City Year; and increasing volunteer, donor and national service advocacy among alumni.
- Provide communications expertise on priority projects including alumni surveys, newsletters, events, social media strategy, website content and other engagement tactics.
- Closely partner with other MarComm teams: the Creative Team to ensure written and visual content work together to connect with and inspire target audiences; the Digital Team to gather metrics and making meaning related to content performance; and the Marketing Strategy team to develop an insight-focused perspective on setting goals and engaging with the alumni audience.
- Develop an understanding of how alumni stories and information about alumni can be incorporated into storytelling for other key audiences, and how content developed by other teammates can be framed and shared to have relevance for alumni.
- Serve as communications expert/strategist for internal departments and local staff at City Year sites with communication needs focused on the alumni audience.
- Pitch in on major MarComm campaigns, research projects and releases throughout the year as needed, including those not focused solely on alumni.
- Support national Communications Team in the development and implementation of national communications plan aligned to the organization’s long-term impact goals.
Who Should Apply
- City Year alums and other AmeriCorps alumni are strongly encouraged to apply.
- You are an excellent writer, editor and communicator, with a passion for meaningful and motivational storytelling and respect for the audiences you serve.
- You are able to develop various types of content, working across multiple digital channels, to reach external audiences with varied interests and needs.
- You bring an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) how storytelling contributes to advancing diversity, belonging, inclusion and equity (DBIE) both within City Year and externally.
- You understand how to create effective SEO content (written, visual, audio, video) for use across multiple channels, including print, web, social, etc.
- You are skilled in managing projects both big and small from conception to development to completion with a sense of ownership and attention to detail and deadlines.
- You can balance multiple priorities with ease, set goals and gather metrics to measure success, while also knowing when to ask for guidance and support along the way.
- You are creative, adaptive and collaborative about finding and learning new, compelling ways to reach and communicate with external audiences.
- You thrive in challenging, fast-paced, and rapidly changing environments where you will be expected to work both independently and collaboratively within and across teams and, crucially, forge positive and productive relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- You are solutions-oriented, open to feedback and, above all, flexible about how we can get the work done to meet goals, even and especially when things don’t go according to plan.
- You bring an understanding of and passion for the work City Year AmeriCorps members do in partnership with schools and communities to serve our students and you share their commitment to service, social justice and educational equity.
- You are inspired and motivated by the mission, vision and values that City Year seeks to exemplify every day and our shared efforts to advance the continuous learning of the organization.
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.