Finance and Operations Manager
Title: Finance and Operations Manager
Location: This is a remote and global position that can be performed from anywhere in the world! If you’re located in North America, this position can be performed at our Washington DC, Brooklyn, or Oakland offices, in Canada or remotely in the following states: CA
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
About the Finance and Operations Manager
The Finance and Operations Manager works closely with management and staff to provide support for financial budgeting, analysis, banking, payroll, restricted grants and other finance processes. This position is part of the finance team and also works alongside the broader operations team to help support and execute strategies to achieve the mission and goals of the organization. Qualified candidates will have multiple years of experience in finance and accounting, knowledge of nonprofit operations and excellent time management skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Planning, Analysis and Support
- Lead and develop the worldwide organizational budget (across the whole organizational and for sub-teams) based on goals, strategy, current performance, etc. Budget and forecast personnel/headcount expenses and activity/program expenses. Present and explain the budget and budgeting process for transparency and clarity. Create streamlined budget templates.
- Act as the main point of contact for all things budget-related at the organization.
- Prepare routine and ad-hoc financial reports, financial information and presentations for senior management, the Board, budget holders and others.
- Use existing systems to compile information, build and run reports, perform analysis and review data.
- Meet with budget holders monthly and as needed to review their budget, actuals and any other finance or accounting questions. Prepare monthly reports and variance analysis for budget holders. Hold budget holders accountable to their budget by performing adjustments and providing trending, insights. Provide guidance on financials to both budget holders and senior management.
- Prepare financial forecast to estimate expense projections based on knowledge of the organization, current spending levels and future plans.
- Support the Finance Director, COO and other managers to provide organizational wide budget reporting and monitoring information.
- Lead finance and budget trainings for new and existing budget holders. Set up and manage the budget in the accounting system.
- Review, approve and modify expense reports based on internal and external Finance and Accounting standards and policies.
- Review and revise financial policies and procedures to align with current processes, goals and limitations. Work with cross-functional staff to revise the policies and procedures, such as HR, Accounts Payable, Development, etc.
- Identify and implement process improvements for areas of responsibility
- Ensure timely and accurate management and reporting of all restricted grants. Set up and manage project codes for restricted grants or other special projects. Track restricted revenues and expenses against projects for budget and actual expenses. Provide reporting as needed for restricted grants. Forecast restricted grant budgets that will roll over to the next period.
- Partner with the Development Team to review and reconcile restricted grants on a monthly basis and as required. Coordinate among team members on all responsibilities related to restricted grants or restricted funding.
- Act as expert within the finance team for restricted grants, including preparing trainings and providing them to budget holders and management.
Operational Management and Support
- Lead payroll, pension, banking, and accounting setup required for multiple international countries/locations such as the UK and South Africa. Affiliate organizations that support operations, such as 350 Australia, may also be included in this group.
- Track government reporting requirements and deadlines in multiple countries/governments, including Tax and Entity compliance. Manage staff and third party contractors to assist in compiling and submitting the information to the local authority.
- Liaise with Risk Management on additional country specific compliance requirements or concerns.
- Manage multiple bank accounts, monitor balances, and provide statement and transaction information to the other finance and accounting members for reconciliations.
- Initiate monthly payroll in coordination with HR Team. Facilitate payroll from submission to payment with third party contractors. Provide payroll register information to others on the finance and accounting team for input into the accounting system.
- Manage one employee who will assist with budgeting, payroll, banking and more.
- Update job descriptions, create work plans and coach direct report(s)
- Prepare and complete annual performance reviews, goal-setting, professional development, coaching and routine check-ins.
- Act as a model for a professional, equitable, accountable and transparent culture.
- A deep understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- The ability to manage across difference and support a team of diverse staff from different backgrounds and experiences;
- Alignment with 350.org’s vision, mission and progressive values
- This position will have one direct report.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. An MBA is desired.
- 4+ years of direct finance and accounting experience
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP accounting principles (IFRS familiarity is a bonus)
- Strong experience and working knowledge of annual budgeting, financial reporting, analysis and tracking restricted/unrestricted grants.
- Experience with being the main point of contact and an expert on your assigned areas
- Familiarity with an enterprise-level accounting system, including the general ledger, chart of accounts, etc.
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet applications such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Self motivated and a self starter
- Interested in making process improvements and implementing efficiencies
- Promotes 350.org’s values
- Commitment to working in an environment that values cultural diversity, collaboration and is mission-driven
- Experience managing at least one direct report.
- Excellent written and communication skills. Proficiency of English language (spoken and written) is required.
- Experience working with Intacct, G-Suite, Slack.
Position Type: Full time
Location: This is a remote and global position that can be performed from anywhere in the world! If you’re located in North America, this position can be performed at our Washington DC, Brooklyn, or Oakland offices, in Canada or remotely in the following states: CA, GA, MD, MA, ME, CO, MT, NY, NC, PA, SC, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI.
Travel: May occasionally travel from time to time (domestic and international)
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.