Regional Editorial Lead
Regional Editorial Lead, North America
By applying for this role, you could choose to work in the following locations:
- US – GA – Atlanta
- US – Remote US
- San Francisco
- New York City
- GB – Remote Great Britain
The Curation team is responsible for showcasing and contextualising the best events and stories that unfold on Twitter. Its work, across multiple product surfaces including trends and Moments, makes it easy for customers to experience only-on Twitter conversations and get the most out of the platform, regardless of which accounts they follow.
The Twitter Curation team sits within Twitter’s Consumer Product team, which works directly on developing the core Twitter product with our customers in mind.
We’re looking for a highly-skilled editorial manager to lead a diverse team of curators located in the US and Canada who are responsible for identifying the best Tweets, photos, and videos around the biggest real-world events and high-profile public conversations in English-speaking markets. This is an outstanding opportunity to impact the daily operation of one of the world’s biggest platforms for public conversation!
The ideal candidate is passionate about people development, is familiar with using Twitter content to craft stories and has a range of skills associated with working with content, including:
- Excellent understanding of, and desire to maintain, high ethical and policy standards in their team’s work
- Outstanding written communication and storytelling skills
- Ability to make thoughtful decisions in a time-pressured environment
- Proven expertise in the political systems of the US and Canada and their operation. Some understanding of the governance of the UK, Australia, Ireland and/or New Zealand also useful
- Strong awareness of country-specific laws that may impact content curation decisions
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to high-profile conversations regarding social justice and equality currently reflected on Twitter in English. Awareness of similar conversations in Spanish also a benefit
- Awareness of a diverse set of online communities and their cultural and communication norms
- Sensitivity to language and cultural differences between English-speaking countries
- Dedication to self-care and developing resiliency in the face of exposure to potentially upsetting content
As with all senior editorial leaders, candidates will need to be available to work weeknights and weekends if/when the news cycle requires it.
Success in this role is measured by:
- Delivering consistent, high-quality, ethically-curated output for English-speaking markets
- Driving a Curation strategy for North American content experiences that highlight the best content on Twitter and measurably resonates with Twitter’s customers.
- Innovating new creative content opportunities that strongly reflect the communities represented on Twitter in North America
- Helping to develop and improve upon Curation workflows
- Improving cross-language and cross-team collaboration
- Engaging and retaining a high-performing team and ensuring they have the ability to do their best work every day.
- Providing meaningful feedback and development opportunities to direct reports and can collaborate and manage conflict effectively
- Oversee output of the North American team
- Develop and drive quarterly goals
- Build, empower, and develop a team of experienced Curators with various language capabilities and intersections
- Provide inspiration to the team and inject creativity and experimentation into daily work and projects
- Supervise metrics of success and hold self and team to the highest standards of fairness, quality and accuracy
- Collate and provide feedback that will help to drive new product improvements and experiences
- Collaborate with other senior leads globally to ensure consistency and alignment
- Collaborate and partner with other Twitter teams to drive meaningful customer engagement with curated content
- BA/BSc degree or equivalent experience
- Written and verbal fluency in English; other languages a plus
- 10+ years’ experience working with content teams
- 5+ years’ experience leading teams; experience with managing managers and remote team members a plus
- Expertise and passion for mentoring and developing people
- Experience leading content teams, expertise in social media strongly preferred
- Experience of using Twitter preferably as a tool in content curation
- Experience with newsgathering tools like Tweetdeck, Curator, Dataminr for News, etc preferred
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco Applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.