Head of Political Strategy
Swing LeftFull time
Head of Political Strategy
Remote OK | Full-Time
The Head of Political Strategy will lead Swing Left’s strategic approach to winning key elections, and building power for the long run, overseeing external political engagement, political targeting, resource allocation, creative partnerships, surrogate program, and executing Swing Left’s candidate support program. This position serves on the Swing Left leadership team and reports to the Swing Left Co-Executive Director
About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization that took back the House in 2018 by building a national campaign for Democratic candidates in 84 Swing Districts in three big ways: recruiting and training an army of volunteers, raising funds from grassroots donors, and building cultural momentum for the midterms. For 2020, we’ll be bringing our campaigns-in-waiting model to swing Senate seats, defend the House, win the state-level races needed to ensure fair maps for 2021 redistrictingand, of course, the Presidency.
In 2018 we took back the House. Join us, and help transform our government in 2020.
- Political Targeting, Resource Allocation, & Campaign Coordination: Oversee the development and management of Swing Left’s political targeting and campaign program, including internal development of targeting guidelines, engagement with progressive allies on strategy, and coordinate Swing Left activities with campaign entities, including presidential, U.S. Senate, coordinated campaigns, and state legislative entities. Guide departments and leaders across the organization on the best approaches for handling challenging political dynamics, and for being aware of those dynamics in the first place.
- External Engagement, Partnerships, and Surrogates: Oversee Swing Left’s external political and creative engagement with the goal of building and maintaining relationships with targeted campaigns, elected officials, influencers, creative partners, Democratic & progressive political organizations, and other political stakeholders; design strategies for engaging these partners.
- Program Execution: Coordinate with various departments across Swing Left to collaborate on strategy, cross-functional projects, and execution of key Swing Left programs. Identify opportunities for coalition and partnership via Swing Left programs.
- Staff Management: Serve as a senior leader at Swing Left, including sitting on the senior leadership team and managing four full-time staff members.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience, with 3+ years of management experience
- Preference for candidates who have worked in electoral organizations
- Strong analytical skills and experience in applying them to evaluate geo-political priorities
- Experience building coalitions and deep relationships within the progressive movement and/or Democratic Party
- Comfort in a rapidly changing virtual work environment (Swing Left is still very much a startup)