Senior Technical Editor
Sr. Technical Editor – Contract
REMOTE – US
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc.
About the role:
As a Senior Education Editor at HashiCorp, you will improve the quality and consistency of writing on our project-based education platform at https://learn.hashicorp.com/.
You will review existing material and collaborate with content creators on engineering, enterprise architect, and solutions engineering teams to publish step-by-step tutorials for expert audiences.
You will help content creators conform to our in-house style guide, and coach them on questions of structure and flow. You will help our content creators grow as writers. You will also maintain and create materials that empower them to do good work. You will improve our style guide, our content templates, and other resources.
You should be comfortable managing multiple projects during the course of a single week, each of which will be at different stages of completion. You should be proficient at communicating with technical practitioners and business managers over email, real time chat, phone, and video chat. You should be proficient in the English language and able to edit existing material for clarity, spelling, and grammar.
You should be excited about project management, workflows, and improving systems for communication and collaboration.
HashiCorp creates, sells, and supports a suite of open source and enterprise tools including Terraform (provision cloud infrastructure), Vault (secure sensitive data), Consul (connect dynamic services to each other around the world), and Nomad (run applications in the cloud and on-premise). Our education team creates online and instructor-led curriculum that is taught by our training partners around the world, and our certification team creates professional assessments and hands-on exams for validating practitioner proficiency with our tools.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Write and maintain process documentation, style guides, and content templates
- Review pull requests on GitHub for style and instructional flow
- Execute command line instructions and cloud-based tutorials to verify accuracy
- Coach technical content creators who want to improve the quality of their writing
You may be a good fit if you have:
- 5+ years of experience in copy editing.
- Capacity to grasp technical topics at a medium to high level. Perhaps has worked in tech or tech adjacent roles.
- Experience using Git and GitHub (nearly all of our content is edited in and published from GitHub).
- Run existing code samples to verify accuracy and suggest instructional improvements.
- Can edit existing tutorials on topics related to cloud infrastructure, networking, and security.
- Has experience using content management systems, calendars, collaborative spreadsheets, and other online collaboration tools.
- Has experience using task tracking tools such as Asana, Trello, Basecamp, or Jira.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – these will be tested during the interview process.
- Curiosity about learning, professional development, certifications, career qualifications, and career advancement.
- Experience with the terminology, technology, and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, and others).
- Familiarity with graphic design or diagramming software
- Experience working with technical subject matter experts
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-SY1