Copywriter, Direct Response
Copywriter, Direct Response (Remote) US
- Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States or Remote
- Full time
BEFORE YOU APPLY: Your application will NOT be accepted unless the first paragraph of your cover letter discusses your biggest takeaway from the book in qualification “v)” below.
If you measure your copy’s success by CTR, conversion rate, and ROAS, then keep reading. If you want to feel proud knowing your copy helps people live better lives, keep reading. And if you want to work with intelligent marketers who test lots of ideas and invest in your success, keep reading. Because this could be the best posting you see all year.
We’d like to put your direct response copywriting talent to work… and make you an even sharper writer, too.
AlgaeCal, an online nutritional supplement company, is one of Canada’s fastest growing companies. One of the reasons for that growth? We offer something no other company can: a natural, clinically-backed solution to bone loss (osteoporosis). Bone scans prove we’re actually stopping bone loss and building brand new bone in adults of all ages. And we need help spreading the word. That’s where you come in!
We’re seeking a top writer to help us write copy for every step in our funnels—from ad, to sales page, to upsell page, confirmation page, and beyond. You’ll help improve results from lead-gen campaigns, cold traffic campaigns, and loyalty campaigns.
We currently have a small team of writers—and only one who’s solely responsible for sales copy—and we’re looking to add one more to our elite marketing team!
We’ll entrust you to keep our copy on-brand, keep it converting, and still compliant under the increasing pressures from the “powers that be”— like Facebook and Google.
Our goal for 2020 is to reach double the number of people with osteoporosis that we did in 2019, so we need consistently gripping, sharp copy to achieve this goal. Are you in?
A Day In The Life
Every day at AlgaeCal presents exciting challenges to test your skills. Every day brings opportunities to work with team members who care as much about you as they do our customers, and every day lets you have the chance to genuinely help people overcome osteoporosis.
There isn’t a rigid job description for our employees. But below are a few of the tasks you can look forward to:
- Measuring your ad writing skills on Facebook, Google Ads and other platforms to see how they perform against control ads. You’ll assess how well the company (and your own copy) is performing and pinpoint any potential opportunities.
- Working closely with our Lead Copywriter (who is a current copy cub of Parris Lampropoulos) to conceive and write any and all sales copy we need to continue reaching our company goals.
- Collaborating with our close-knit marketing team to conceive, plan and execute the big-ticket projects that will drive AlgaeCal to new heights in 2020-2021.
- Supporting our efforts in conversion rate optimization, reporting, and other marketing tasks to reach our customers and prospects.
- Jumping in to help the Editorial team when they need it; that could mean writing a newsletter to our house list, a blog post, a lift note, or other copy that isn’t solely direct response.
- Petting our office Weimaraner and valued team member Buddy when you visit our Vancouver office (he usually makes his rounds just after lunch).
Working at AlgaeCal is stimulating, fast-paced, and rewarding. And just like any job, it can have its challenging moments. But one thing it will never be is boring.
What Do We Do?
The first thing you’ll notice about AlgaeCal is our unique culture and hard-working but fun office environment. ln fact, you may find pretty quickly that AlgaeCal is a place you’ll want to spend the rest of your career. After all, we want all our employees to become ‘lifers’… no joke!
Just as we want to serve our customers, we want to serve you, our employees (we call ourselves AlgaeBuds), and make sure that you enjoy your work. Every. Single. Day.
Now, our standards are sky high and we don’t just let anyone into our family. When we say you’ll enjoy every single day you work here, we mean it. But there will surely be some challenging moments along the way. After all, no job is perfect!
But you’ll work alongside and learn from top marketing professionals who have helped AlgaeCal double our revenue in the last 12 months. We’re the leader in our rapidly growing niche and our company has been featured on the Dr. Oz show, PBS television, Fox News, and in several prominent books. Our success comes with high expectations and a healthy amount of pressure.
But we promise you that every day you’ll have a moment… a moment of clarity or empowerment that will tell you that you’re doing what you love. And that you’re making a difference in this crazy, beautiful world.
What Kind Of Person Will Crush It In This Role?
On top of being a friendly, caring person, our copywriter must have some important skills to excel in this position. If the following sounds like you, please get in touch:
- You’ve got persuasive direct response writing chops that make your words cut through the clutter. You know how to grab your readers’ eyeballs, focus them on your headline, lead them to your first sentence, and keep them hanging on your every word to the very end.
- You are a detail-oriented editor (you’re a stickler for grammatical errors and proofreading is second-nature).
- You own a positive attitude and energy that fits with our company culture. We hire a certain type of teammate so you’ll find there are no “cases of the Mondays” here!
- You’re an excellent communicator whether in-person, on video calls, or through emails and Slack messages.
- You understand studies in medical journals and can summarize the findings for lay people. It’s a bonus if you’ve worked with supplement or natural health marketers!
- You’re thick-skinned. You don’t have an ego that’s easily bruised after a tough (but helpful!) copy critique. After all, even the best can improve.
- You have at least 1 year of experience with direct response copywriting. This includes the following qualifications:
i) You understand the difference between active voice and passive voice.
ii) You use, or have used, the Flesch Kincaid Reading Level function in Microsoft Word, or at least the Hemingway App.
iii) You have heard of and studied at least one of the following people: Gary Halbert, David Ogilvy, Gary Bencivenga, Parris Lampropoulos. If not, please do not apply.
iv) You’ve written at least one sales letter or VSL before, and have verifiable data that it made sales. *PLEASE include a Word or Google doc, or a URL to this sales letter with your application.*
v) You’ve read, or are currently reading, one or more of the following books:
- Tested Advertising Methods, John Caples
- How To Write A Good Advertisement, Victor Schwab
- Breakthrough Advertising, Eugene Schwartz
- The Ultimate Sales Letter, Dan Kennedy
- Ogilvy on Advertising, David Ogilvy
- Anything by Joe Sugarman, Bob Bly, Ted Nicholas, Gary Bencivenga, Perry Marshall, or AWAI.
What Will You Earn?
Let’s agree on salary and paid vacation once we know what you have to offer. That said, our goal is to pay above market rate for your unique skills.
You will also enjoy the following benefits:
- 2 weeks paid vacation
- $2,000 flexible employee health benefits package
- Family style team lunches on Fridays with tasty, home-cooked organic food (when you visit the Vancouver office)
- Annual team trip to Los Cabos, Mexico, and other team trips and events which you are eligible for after one year of employment. This amounts to another week of paid vacation plus we cover hotel, food, flights, and entertainment
We are looking to hire as soon as we find the right person, so act quickly and you can also expect a prompt response.