Software Engineer – Video
Standard CognitionFull time
Software Engineer (Video)
- REMOTE /
- ENGINEERING – INFRASTRUCTURE /
- FULL TIME
At Standard, we’re rethinking the way retail works. We are enabling autonomous checkout for brick & mortar retailers with our AI-powered computer vision platform. Since launching in November 2017, Standard has contracts with multiple global retailers and are in the process deploying our Standard Checkout solution across thousands of stores globally. We announced our Series A in November 2018 and we’re backed by some of Silicon Valley’s leading investors including CRV, Initialized, Draper Associates and YCombinator. Standard has raised its Series B and is valued at $535 million.
The Stream team is responsible for in-store production streaming systems, including video. Streaming video involves image acquisition from cameras installed in customer stores, converting to usable formats for our computer vision systems, and encoding & display in applications delivered to internal and external customers.
Video is essential for everything Standard Cognition does. So, naturally, this role will involve close collaboration with a number of teams (including hardware, infrastructure, computer vision, and application teams). The Software Engineer will focus on continually improving the quality, performance, and flexibility of the video systems as the Standard Cognition platform’s needs become more complex and demanding.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop, test and optimize reliable and efficient video encoding and streaming systems for large scale, live video streaming deployments.
- Collaborate with computer vision, infrastructure, and client teams to architect and integrate video encoding/decoding/streaming software.
- Design, improve, maintain and test low latency video acquisition pipelines.
Who you are:
- Proficient in one or more systems programming languages: e.g., Rust and/or C/C++
- Basic knowledge of video codecs and containers: H264, H265, VP9, AV1, etc.
- Experience with high-throughput/low-latency networking systems
- Familiarity with concurrency primitives: threads, locking, mutexes
- Experience authoring and deploying production-ready code at scale
- Voracious appetite for learning
Why you might want to work with us:
- We take care of you and your family with health, vision, and dental insurance.
- You’re excited to work on a product that will impact almost any consumer, almost anywhere.
- We dress casually. If you want, you can wear slippers in the office. You should see the creative collection our team has built.
- We believe in a culture of learning, and want to keep building our skills, experiences, and capabilities.
- We’re remote-friendly. Work wherever you feel most effective.
- We offer flexible work schedules. We trust our team to know how they will do their best work.
- We’re family-friendly. We want our teammates to focus on what they need to when they need to.
- We offer very competitive compensation, including equity in Standard, to each one of our employees.
Standard provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and abilities.