OckamFull time go elixir rust open-source github
About this job
Compensation: $150k - 180k | Equity
Location options: Remote
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Manager
Industry: Cybersecurity, Developer APIs, Software Development / Engineering
Company size: 1–10 people
Company type: VC Funded
go, elixir, rust, open-source, github
Job descriptionIf you love building teams that ship code, then this role on our team is for you!
This role is part of the technical management team at Ockam. While some other VP or Director of Engineering roles solely focus on people and product management, this role will have building and shipping responsibility in the beginning. We are pulling forward this role in our hiring plan to give you the opportunity to hire and build your team. In your first 6 months in this role you will be part of the build team so that you can learn the code base and to help ship code on spec and on time. However, as our team triples in size over the next year coding work will be replaced with management duties that are more typical for a director of engineering role.
You will utilize your multidisciplinary skills to align with Product, GTM, and Engineering IC’s, to manage Ockam’s OKR and engineering deliverables. Your entrepreneurial and team building skills will also be challenged as the first person on our team in this type of role - you will help to shape the engineering structure of our team from just-about the ground up.
At Ockam we have a philosophy of building a high performing team. This means that we align individuals to roles that align with their world class skills, and empower their growth potential. You will learn a lot from our diverse team, and will be trusted to empower others.
You will need Sr. Engineer skills to excel in this role. The entire Ockam team has senior level, or higher engineering skills, so your ability to pull knowledge from across the team is important. We don’t expect you to know more than everyone else on the team, but you should be able to engage in thoughtful and respectful, deep technical discussions with anyone on the team.
- Hiring and interviewing 'A players' from diverse backgrounds
- On boarding new teammates
- Team leadership and fostering growth in teammates
- Code review across a large codebase
- Open source collaboration and community culture
- Distributed / Remote-First team management
- A philosophy that simplicity is hard ... but mandatory
- Creating and forecasting OKR deliverables
- Shipping product on time and on spec
- Collaboration with Product, GTM and Executive functions
- API design principles
- Writing code in multiple programming languages
- GitHub operations / management in an open source environment
- Management of Issues, PRs and syncing with internal roadmaps and OKRs.
- This is a Level 6-7 role at Ockam.
- Level 5+ IC engineering skills and experience are required.
- For more information about Role Levels at Ockam, [click here for our guide].