Instructor – English Language Development
Johns Hopkins UniversityFull time
CTY Online Programs Instructor – English Language Development
- Classified Title: CTY DE Instructor
- Working Title: CTY Online Programs Instructor – English Language
- Role/Level/Range: ACRP/03/MB
- Starting Salary Range: $21.00 – $24.15 per hour
- Employee group: Casual / On Call
- Schedule: Hours vary
- Exempt Status: Exempt
- Location: Telecommute
- Department name: 10000114-DE Writing Humanities Social Science
- Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide today’s brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers. Want to join our team? We’re looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTY’s diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve.
General nature or purpose of the job:
The instructor supports academically talented students enrolled in Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth (CTY) online English Language Development courses.
- Note: This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
- Note: This position is not eligible for benefits.
- Multiple Positions Available
- Develop and teach lessons within curriculum defined by CTY.
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact independently with students using distance education technologies, primarily Moodle, Adobe Connect, Zoom and e-mail.
- Provide timely feedback to students and their parents on coursework and progress.
- Coordinate with teaching assistant (TA) for tutorial sessions. The TA will be assigned to the course by CTY.
- Manage student behavior and discipline in the online classroom.
- Report concerns with students, courseware, systems or TA to supervisor.
- Suggest improvements to course contents.
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
Degree of independent action performed on the job:
Moderately Supervised (overall objectives are given, supervisor and incumbent collaborate, moderate level of autonomy).
Internal and external contacts required as part of the job:
Collaborative relationships with the Program Manager, supervisors, and CTYOnline administrators and staff. Frequent contact with students and parents via Zoom, email, and web-based virtual meeting room software.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
- Native-like proficiency in English language.
- Demonstrated ability to teach students to develop their written and conversational skills in English.
- Ability to motivate students to converse in English and to provide guidance to improve their writing, reading, listening, and speaking skills.
- Ability to prepare specialized assignments, exercises, lesson plans and audio-visual aids per the required curriculum.
- Experience teaching students from diverse backgrounds.
- Extensive communication and organizational proficiencies along with excellent interpersonal skills.
Minimum required education and related work experience:
- Two years teaching or tutorial experience in English language is required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in English, or a related field is required; Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Additional (graduate) education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula. JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Computer or other special needs for the position:
- Must have a computer with broadband Internet access; familiarity with Online education technologies a plus, such as Moodle, Adobe Connect and Zoom.
Machines and/or equipment used on the job, include % of time used:
- Computer, 100%
Physical Requirements for the Job:
- Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing during events and presentations may be required.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone, Zoom and email with internal and external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time