Staff Software Engineer, Fine Grained Authorization
Auth0Full time go azure azure-cosmosdb cloudflare sandcastle
About this job
Location options: Remote
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Senior
Industry: Information Technology, IT Security, Software Development / Engineering
Company size: 501–1k people
Company type: VC Funded
go, azure, azure-cosmosdb, cloudflare, sandcastle
Auth0 is a unicorn that just closed a $120M Series F round of funding, with total capital raised to date of $330M and valuation of nearly $2B. We are growing rapidly and looking for exceptional new team members to add to our exceptional talent pool - and who will help take us to the next level of success. One team, one score.
Our vision is to provide people with secure access to any application in one click or less. And our promise is to make identity work for everyone—whether you’re a developer looking to innovate, or a security professional looking to mitigate. We are looking for curious, excited, boundary-pushing team members. So, if you’re a big thinker who is nimble and adaptable, Auth0 may be an ideal place for you to shine.
About this specific role
We are building project "Sandcastle": a new product for large scale, fine grained authorization (FGA). It uses a globally distributed database and Relationship Based Access control, and is based on Google's Zanzibar paper.
An Authorization service is a critical component. All requests that need to be authorized go through it, so it needs to be reliable and respond with low latency. We are looking for people that excel at designing and implementing highly reliable, performant systems, and enjoy building from scratch. We are going to be building for at least 99.99% reliability and low two digits for p99 latency at our edge for reads.
In addition to the challenges of building a world scale distributed system, building from scratch means that: we spend a lot of time talking to customers, generating awareness about the product, writing content and implementing quick starts, SDKs, etc. Think of it as having the breadth and experiences of working at a small startup with the budget and certainty of a late-stage startup.
We are looking for an engineer who enjoys building new products (i.e. going from 0 to 1). These are some of the things we are looking for:
- You are consistently learning about how to make systems more reliable and performant.
- You enjoy writing software and running infrastructure.
- You are curious and go beyond what says in a Jira ticket.
- You want to understand the big picture.
- You are comfortable with doing multiple things.
- Design and implement features to make implementing FGA a delightful experience. We'll be doing many things such as working on the core authz engine, implementing connectors to feed data into Sandcastle and integrating with Auth0.
- Automate infrastructure setup for the service. Today we are building with Cloudflare, Azure CosmosDB and Azure Container Services. We want it to be really easy to set up dedicated clusters with data nodes in specific geographies based on our customer's latency and compliance requirements.
- Tune the latency and reliability of the service. These are some of the things we have in mind in the short term:
- Routing traffic to the region closest (latency wise) to clients.
- Parallelizing query execution as much as possible, which is a key benefit of Sandcastle.
- Automate and create playbooks for region failover scenarios. What happens if the write region goes down? What happens if a read region goes down?
- Work with our customer community to answer their questions in forums, social media, tickets and chat.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy building reliable, performant systems, including developing software and designing and running infrastructure.
- Love to build products for developers.
- Can learn very quickly. We don't need you to know everything, but being able and willing to learn is key.
- Have t-shaped skills and enjoy using and improving them.
- Have a good product sense (i.e. you can connect customer problems with solutions).
- Crave to understand the big picture, as it helps you make better decisions.
- Like talking to customers (developers) to learn about their problems and you apply those learnings back to the product.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of experience working on cloud applications.
- 8+ years of software development experience.
- Great ability to collaborate with others.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Knowledge working with CosmosDB, Go and/or Cloudflare are pluses.
- #CA; #US;
Auth0 safeguards more than 4.5 billion login transactions each month and its top priorities are availability and security.
We like to think that we are helping make the internet safer. Our team is spread across more than 35 countries and we are proud to continually be recognized as a great place to work. Culture is critical to us, and we are transparent about our vision and principles.
Auth0 is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Auth0 conducts all employment-related activities without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship status, genetics, or status as a Vietnam-era special disabled and other covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Auth0 participates in E-Verify and will confirm work authorization for candidates residing in the United States.