ICT Senior Officer - Software Development [Full Stack Web Developer]
UNOPS - The United Nations Office for Project ServicesFull time wordpress php project-management visual-web-developer
About this job
Location options: Remote
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level
Role: Full Stack Developer, Product Manager
wordpress, php, project-management, visual-web-developer
Job type: full-time
Experience level: low-Mid level
5 months with the possibility of extension (monthly contract)
- The Full Stack Web Developer will work with the Global Pulse New York Lab and be responsible for developing new and maintaining existing internet-based applications, systems and other solutions while ensuring the confidentiality, availability and integrity of the project’s information assets. They must be able to work with a variety of data types, programming languages and platforms, must be comfortable with both hands-on development and research support, and must be adept at both understanding the information content of data and transforming and preparing it for analytical and reporting purposes.
- The contractor will support the development of software tools across the Pulse Lab Network. Examples of similar projects to the ones the Full Stack Web Developer will support include using speech-to-text technology to support the response to the COVID-19 infodemic: https://www.unglobalpulse.org/2020/05/using-speech-to-text-technology-to-support-response-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/.
The contractor will:
- Support producing regular as well as ad hoc reports around key infodemic trends;
- Develop, document, test, deploy and debug applications, software and front-end interfaces that will be used by Global Pulse and UN partners;
- Work with the team to research, use and develop tools and libraries to create solutions implemented by Global Pulse and UN partners which can support the response to COVID-19 and other crises; Support the identification of gaps and opportunities for improvement of existing solutions;
- Assist with the development and work with APIs for integration with various data services;
- Support the operational research team in the planning, design, development and utilization of data processing systems for development and humanitarian response;
- Assist the team to determine system requirements to meet user needs; analyze system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepare operating instructions;
- Support data security standards implementation;
- Provide support to the coordination of testing of solutions and processes by development and humanitarian partners to strengthen, adapt and improve the project’s efficiency and effectiveness;
- A minimum of two years of work experience in big data techniques, internet technology, design or software development is required,
- Experience with AWS (EC2, S3, VPC, Route 53, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, IAM, etc.) is required;
- Experience working in Linux type operating systems is required;
ICT Officer [Wordpress Web Developer]
2 months (lumpsum contract modality)
The “Peer-to-peer capacity-building training between Young Religious Leaders and Young Media Makers” seeks to enhance the capacity of young religious leaders and young media professionals to collaborate on social media to mediate sectarian tensions, to create meaningful messages to counter terrorist narratives, and to promote social cohesion. The project is being implemented in collaboration between the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) / the United Nations Center on Counter-Terrorism (UNCCT).
Through capacity-building activities and exclusive conversations with high-level stakeholders, the project aims at strengthening participants’ knowledge and skills in using religious material and interreligious dialogue to counter terrorist narratives online, to mediate sectarian tensions, and promote social cohesion at the community level. Together, participants will work on creating and disseminating religious media literacy tools to counter terrorist narratives and to foster social cohesion. They will also become better equipped to advocate for stronger collaboration between media professionals, religious leaders, and policy makers in the field of interfaith dialogue.
In that context, UNOPS is looking for a web developer to develop a branded website or microsite, which will showcase the participants’ social media campaigns as well as the different outputs produced during the project.
- Following the UNAOC and UNOCT/UNCCT branding guidelines and the project’s visual identity, the consultant will work with the designated Web Designer to develop a custom Wordpress theme for a microsite based on pre-agreed design specifications. The theme must be scalable, responsive, lightweight, compliant with current web usability standards, and compatible with all browsers and devices.
- The consultant will develop and deploy code for a custom Wordpress theme based on the storyboard, wireframes, layout, and data architecture designed by the Web Designer and approved by UNAOC.
- The consultant must ensure that the microsite is compatible with the WP 5.7 branch (and newer iterations), PHP 7.4 or greater, and MySql5.6. The theme must be compatible with upcoming WP updates without requiring any major development changes.
- The consultant must create a barebones child theme, which will be used for minor layout customizations without impacting the core code.
- The consultant will be responsible for front-end and back-end development on the Content Management System (CMS), i.e. Wordpress.
- He/She will develop the following features on the microsite, either as built-in features in the custom theme (through modified functions.php) or through the use of existing plugins and/or custom plugins:
- RSS feed display
- Social media sharing capability – including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, TikTok, etc.
- Multiple page templates, including full-width, left-sidebar, right-sidebar, etc. based on design specifications
- Index/archive templates for custom post types and taxonomies
- Integration of multilingual options in resources and guidance templates
- Search function and/or post filter by news, type of publication/guidance, type of resource, events, country story, issue, plus any additional taxonomies and categories
- Interactive, responsive, and scalable map showing the location of project participants
- Code optimized for Search Engines
- The consultant will provide administrative and technical support of the microsite and ensure full source code handover (all developed templates, libraries, plugins, as well as raw design materials e.g. PSD, INDD, AI, XD if applicable).
- The consultant will install, configure, test, and deploy the Wordpress theme on UNAOC servers, and provide troubleshooting when necessary.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Milestone 1: Functioning custom Wordpress theme deployed and live (May 31, 2021)
- Milestone 2: Version 2 deployed with pages populated with content (June 10, 2021)
- Milestone 3: Final microsite approval from UNAOC and UNOCT/UNCCT (June 20, 2021), following which the microsite goes live.
- Bachelor’s university degree preferably in web development, information technology, computer science, or other related fields.
- A minimum 4 years of work experience in web development, particularly in Wordpress or related CMS.
- Verified experience in Wordpress.
- Fluent in HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySql.
- Familiarity with Apache servers a plus.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- At least 3 examples of live and current Wordpress projects must be included in the application. Include source code verification of your work (such as including your name in style.css, or other methods).
Please apply via: https://jobs.unops.org/pages/viewvacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=21512
More details on the other ICT position:
ICT Officer [Web Graphic Designer]