Senior User Experience Researcher
Title: Senior User Experience Researcher
- Location: Brooklyn, New York or Remote, US
- Employees can work remotely
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
As a Senior UX Researcher on Etsy’s Product Research team, you will work in partnership with product managers, designers, engineers, alongside other researchers and data scientists to deliver insights that will craft the future of human commerce on Etsy.
You know how to conduct professional-quality user experience research, incorporating both qualitative and quantitative methods. You work well with others, and have proven instincts about when to hold the line on methodological rigor, and when to adapt to the changing demands of a project. Most importantly, you approach your work with a genuine sense of curiosity, and you’re willing to challenge conventional wisdom to find the right answer.
Etsy’s Product Research team focuses on using multi-methods research to guide the development of buyer and seller experiences in our dynamic marketplace of unique items. We collaborate with our partner teams through all stages of product development, from identifying initial opportunities, to refining the user experience, to analyzing the impact of our efforts and highlighting improvement areas.
This role is ideally based out of our Brooklyn, NY office but is also open to remote work in all US states (except Alaska and Hawaii).
Some things you’ll do:
- Partner with product managers, designers and marketers to guide product development and refinement, drawing on expertise in user research and UX standards
- Independently define project scope and apply appropriate methodologies to manage a research “portfolio” of foundational and evaluative insights
- Conduct on-site, remote, and in-field user research studies with Etsy buyers and sellers
- Work closely with other researchers and data analysts to develop broad approaches to meeting partner needs
- Share tangible findings and prioritized recommendations on a regular basis, to encourage marketplace health and drive Etsy’s business goals
- Manage third-party research vendors (e.g., research agencies, moderators) as necessary
- Promote proven user research methodologies across the company
- Can demonstrate an in-depth understanding of a range of user research methods and a deep understanding of contemporary trends in Web and app design
- 5+ years’ experience conducting UX research, employing methods such as in-depth user interviews, contextual inquiry, journey mapping, participatory design, and usability testing
- Experience leading research at different parts of the product development process, from discovery to delivery
- You are comfortable with the logistical challenges and workflows of recruiting for research
- Ability to hold your own in a meeting and present research findings with a customer-centric perspective
- You are ambitious, detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects at a time
- Experience with SQL, Qualtrics, remote testing tools, or experiment design a plus