Heifer InternationalFull time
Title: Communications Associate
- Location: United States
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
As a part of the Communications Team, the Communications Associate engages Heifer International’s audiences using the organization’s distinct voice and tone. This position will write and occasionally edit content, including short-form blog posts, social media, magazine articles, and graphics and data visualization, in a variety of styles for different channels.
This entry-level position is a great opportunity for a Journalism, Communications or English graduate to gain experience as a key part of the Communications Team of a highly respected international development organization.
The ideal candidate is able to write cohesive, engaging stories and meet editorial deadlines.
This is a remote and paid 6-month position, with an anticipated 20-25 hours of work a week. To be considered for the position, please submit a cover letter along with your resume and two or three writing samples.
For 76 years, Heifer International has worked with more than 36 million people around the world to end hunger and poverty in a sustainable way. Working with rural communities in 21 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas, including the United States, Heifer International supports farmers and local food producers to strengthen local economies and build secure livelihoods that provide a living income.
Essential Character Traits
Exceptional communicator, independent self-starter, adaptive, flexible, creative, culturally-aware, diligent, sharp, passionate, detail-oriented and willing to learn.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Develop digital and print content (65%)
- Write engaging and informative content for a variety of channels
- Create graphics and imagery to complement and strengthen copy
- Craft shareable content for social media posts
- Upload posts to Heifer’s website using its custom CMS
B. Support content promotion in new channels (15%)
- Explore opportunities to extend Heifer’s communications reach
- Provide assistance for new initiatives
C. Assist with content research and outreach needs (15%)
- Compile relevant information for upcoming stories
- Produce analytics reports and integrate findings into content evolution
- Help build and maintain content calendars
D. Perform other job-related duties as required (5%)
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Mass Communications, Digital Communications, English, Advertising, Public Relations and/or Media Studies; experience regularly creating digital content and social media (professional or personal) with proven engagement success; motivated and independent work style.
Recent graduate or graduate student; 1-2 years of related work experience (including internships); proficient in AP style; graphic design and/or animation skills; familiarity with sustainable development work; proficiency in Spanish or other relevant language
Most Critical Proficiencies
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- May require working in front of a computer for extended periods
- Ability to maintain or communicate sensitive information appropriately to internal and external audiences
- Uphold journalistic excellence and credibility in all assignments
- Ability to interact with diverse individuals and groups tactfully and assertively with the ability to listen attentively and creatively, leaving only a positive impression
- Ability to produce accurate documents in a well-designed and attractive format appropriate for Heifer’s worldwide audience with impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with inflexible deadlines and constant interruptions
- Proven ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Constant telephone and electronic communication with internal and external colleagues at all levels
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality