Researcher – Entomology and Insect Ethology
Rethink PrioritiesFull time
Researcher – Entomology and Insect Ethology (Remote)
- Remote | Full Time
Rethink Priorities is a research organization aimed at uncovering insights from a variety of academic fields and using that information to inform policymakers and major foundations about how to best set policy to help people and nonhuman animals.
Since the beginning of 2018, we’ve:
- Brought to light the important and neglected area of invertebrate welfare
- Researched the scale of industries that use animals
- Created quantitative existential risk assessments, such as estimating the harm of nuclear war
- Studied the life history of herbivorous insects
- And much much more!
We’re backed by Open Philanthropy, Effective Altruism Funds, and individual donors.
We’re currently seeking an entomology and insect ethology researcher to conduct literature reviews and theoretical research on insect welfare, especially insects and other arthropods used or killed for human industries, such as insect farming or silk production. This position is open to short-term contracts, or full- or part- time work of at least 5 hours per week. The salary is between $55,500 and $62,500 annually, prorated for part-time work. This position is remote and is open to candidates in most places in the world. We offer comprehensive benefits including health coverage and unlimited time off.
What you’ll do
- Conduct comprehensive literature reviews on factors relevant to insect health and welfare to inform policymakers, charitable organizations, and grant makers working in these spaces
- Meet with and advise organizations and grant makers working on topics related to insects and other arthropods
- Review research on insects and industries that use insects conducted by Rethink Priorities staff and external organizations
Skills you have
- Masters or equivalent experience in entomology, ethology, or a related field, with experience researching insects and topics related to insect health, such as stress, disease burden, captive care, physiology, or neuroscience
- Strong communication skills and ability to convey technical information to non-experts to help inform their decision making
- Experience conducting systematic or comprehensive literature reviews and/or meta-analyses on related topics
- Preferred: Experience studying methods of measuring stress in insects
- Preferred: PhD or equivalent experience in entomology, ethology, or a related field
- Preferred: Knowledge of industries that use insects
What we’re offering
- Contribute to a fast-growing, high-impact organization — our research is taken seriously by key decision makers who influence hundreds of millions of dollars
- Flexible work hours (work on your own schedule)
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance covered 100% by Rethink Priorities for partners and families
- Flexible work location
- A caring team that looks out for each other, has a lot of fun, and values having a healthy life outside of work
- 10% of your time can be devoted to professional development / learning
- Very low bureaucracy
- We don’t provide snacks but we could mail you a box of Oreos if you want