Senior Backend Developer (US Timezones)
About this job
Location options: Remote
Job type: Contract
Experience level: Senior
Role: Backend Developer
This is a remote permanent position for those based in the following timezones: US Eastern Time, Central Time, Mountain Time, Pacific Time
If you prefer working remotely, love using and creating open-source software, and would enjoy working on a variety of interesting projects surrounded by inspiring NearFormers on the cutting edge of new technologies, then keep reading!
We are looking for a Senior Backend Developer who can help our enterprise clients translate their requirements into functional and appealing interactive applications. You would be responsible for building server-side components of these applications. The ideal candidate will be outcome-driven, and have the drive to deliver the best quality output for our clients within specific timeframes.
At NearForm we modernise enterprises with open, creative software, evolving businesses for the modern world. Our teams of experts are helping our clients build cloud-native solutions using industry-leading design, technology and modern practices for software development.
Being a global company with a remote workforce allows us to hire without borders. We only hire the best of the best, we continuously learn and improve and our distributed workforce means we service clients across the globe - you can find us from Dublin to Dubai!
As a Senior Backend Developer at NearForm your main task will be designing & building applications using Node.js. However, as you’ll likely work on a variety of projects your responsibilities may also include:
- Supporting system design, development and maintenance and take responsibility for personal technical quality standards within the project team.
- Assisting with defining structured practices, especially in source code management, building and deployment.
- Designing and implementing data storage solutions.
- Implementing security and data protection.
- Contributing to NearForm tooling and open-source projects.
- Optimising applications for maximum speed and scalability.
- Using appropriate tools to maintain version control and build processes.
- Getting feedback from, and building solutions for, users and clients.
- Working with and supporting the Delivery Architect (team lead) in project execution and timely delivery.
- Collaborating with client teams.
- Significant experience delivering at a Senior Developer level in an enterprise environment.
- Practical experience of delivering in an agile environment.
- Practical experience of knowledge of developing real-world solutions and platforms.
- Deep understanding of server-side code, with experience of developing in Node.js.
- Deep understanding of SQL Databases (PostgreSQL is preferred).
- Deep understanding of versioning control tools - Git in particular.
- Experience using GraphQL in a production environment.
- Good understanding of security and performance considerations.
- Understanding of architectural and design patterns.
- General familiarity with a wide variety of open-source technologies and tools.
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Empathy and people skills.
- Work remotely; we have a genuine dedication to work/life balance.
- Work flexibly; we appreciate there are more important things in life than work so our flexible working culture allows you to work around what matters - school run, no problem!
- The Wellness Hub: We have a genuine commitment to fostering/improving NearFormers’ wellbeing; we offer resources and support, including a NearForm advice line which offers confidential support for anything from relationship issues to staying healthy.
- NearFest: We all get together in person at our annual company retreat - for 2019 we chose St Tropez!! (not bad, hey!