Seeking AlphaFull time
- United States Remote
- Technology News editor – Breaking News (Location US, work from home)
Why we’re a great company to work for
- We have a mission. Seeking Alpha is about more than helping people make money. People who invest are 24% happier, 19% less stressed, and report a 36% increase in their sense of well-being (source). By helping investors to succeed, we help them to send children to college, achieve life goals, afford healthcare, and provide themselves with a secure retirement.
- We’re profitable and growing fast. We fuel our growth investments with our own capital, leading to greater stability for employees, and an inspiring growth-focused environment. All employees receive equity grants in-line with their cash compensation.
- You’ll work with great people. We work in small, tight-knit groups of smart, engaged people who bring everything to the table every day.
- We have fun. Our office kitchens are well stocked, and we regularly get together at company events, which include Alphas who work from home. “Seeking Alpha doesn’t feed me well,” said no one ever.
- You’ll impact the lives of many people. We have 15 million unique monthly visitors, and 500,000 unique users visit Seeking Alpha every business day.
What you need to excel
Further down you’ll find the specifics of the job. The following traits describe the characteristics we look for in all positions.
- Hard working. Delivering great experiences requires time and painstaking dedication. There are no shortcuts. Be ready to crush it every day.
- Precise. It is easy to fudge things. We look for people who love being given concrete definitions of success, and utilize their talents and work ethic to exceed them.
- Flexible. We ask questions more than we assert answers, and we are always open to criticism and changing our views in the face of evidence.
- Lean. We pride ourselves in getting stuff done efficiently. When we ask, “How can I solve this challenge,” the first answer is never, “Hire someone.”
- Team player. We look for people who are intellectually stimulating, bring a positive attitude to work, and are fun to be around.
The Technology editor will mentor, build and direct a team of Breaking News reporters after spending a minimum of 5-10 years in a similar role in financial media. The editor is on a first name basis with IR personnel at major technology companies around the globe, can recite semiconductor manufacturing competitors and supply chains by heart, and knew GPUs would overtake CPUs in investor interest. The editor has a sense of urgency, is deeply organized and can delegate projects and tasks whilst in the thick of earnings season. The editor is well-versed in breaking news, and is tasked with regular reporting on curious movements in stock prices on closely watched names, and will be expected to produce multiple stories a day — both short form and long form. The editor will be “plugged in,” with a rolodex of IR contacts, investors, and analysts that are ready to go on or off the record, with a focus on U.S. markets. The editor will be expected to generate exclusive content in addition to monitoring financial news services, corporate press releases, RSS feeds, and Twitter for major business news and insightful commentary. Attention to detail and urgency is paramount in catering to our demanding subscriber base who rely on both breaking news and insightful analysis to manage their portfolios.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5 years experience as a reporter or editor catering to a sophisticated investor community. 10 years preferred
- A deep understanding of hardware and software companies, regulatory environments, trading, investing and how markets function.
- The ability to write quickly, concisely, and accurately about breaking news events, while maintaining a conversational style and not losing sight of the “big picture.”
- The ability to multitask between monitoring news sources, writing short-form and long-form news updates (as needed), while prioritizing and coordinating with fellow team members when needed.
- Strong planning capabilities and the ability to delegate upcoming events to a growing team by priority.
- Comfort with discussing the details of financial statements, SEC filings, earnings and competitors across a diverse array of industries.
- Excellent headline-writing skills.
- Mid-Senior level
- Financial Services
- Online Media
- Public Relations