Director of Engineering
UmbaFull time digital banking payments
About this job
Location options: Remote, Paid relocation
Job type: Full-time
digital, banking, payments
At Umba, we are building a digital bank for emerging markets, offering intelligent, affordable financial products. We are currently live with an Android app in Kenya & Nigeria with our digital banking services.
One third of the worlds 2 billion unbanked people live in Sub-Saharan Africa, and we are here to bring these customers free banking services and bring them into the formal financial system. It's an exciting mission and one that we are excited to deliver on.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone has access to liquid capital, free money transfers, and saving & investment opportunities. If you're curious about Fintech or emerging markets and have a passionate, hardworking spirit, work with us and let's put opportunity in everyone's pocket.
What we do:
We rely heavily on our engineering team to realize this vision. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales, and achieves excellent uptime while serving emerging markets with immature tech stacks is a serious technical challenge.
As Director of Engineering, you will report directly to the CEO, and lead our engineering team. You will also work directly with our Data Science, Product, and Management teams to deliver features that improve our customer's experiences and drive business growth.
This role is a senior role at the company and we would like you to be engaged in strategic decisions on all parts of the business. We see this an an incredibly important hire and one that can grow into a C-Suite leadership role. We want someone who can scale along with the business.
What you'll do:
- Craft, code, test and launch new features
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to our technology, algorithms, and products
- Dive into difficult problems and successfully deliver results on schedule
- Manage a team of engineers and help build the culture at Umba
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience building systems software engineering
- Strong understanding fo computer architecture and CS fundamentals
- Proficient in one of the following programming languages: Java, Go, Python, C/C++
- 4+ years of experience building systems software engineering
- Detailed problem-solving approach
- Track record of projects completed on time - you are a self-starter & an executor, who is results oriented
- You're fun to work with! We are a very diverse and friendly team that prioritizes building relationships and unlocking everyone's full potential
- Valid work authorization for US
Umba is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.