Head of Media and External Relations
Oak National AcademyFull time
Oak is an online classroom and resource hub created by teachers, for teachers.
We provide 10,000 free online lessons, covering most core subjects from Reception to Year 11 across a range of subjects. We also offer an extensive specialist curriculum. As well as an online classroom for pupils, Oak's Teacher Hub provides extensive access to high quality resources, with teachers able to download lesson slides and worksheets.
Originally established in April 2020 in response to the covid-19 pandemic, Oak has grown significantly. In our first term pupils took part in 20 million lessons.
During the 2020/21 academic year Oak is supporting schools as they face continued disruption to education, with pupils isolating. Increasingly teachers are using Oak to support in a number of other ways. This includes lesson planning, pupils homework and catch-up, and support for both cover staff and early career teachers.
We average over half a million pupils using the site each week and a recent survey found 96% of all teachers now know about Oak and nearly half of all teachers are using it.
Director of External Relations
2-year fixed contract
40 hours per week (flexible arrangements considered)
Line management responsibility:
- Lead Oak's Press, Public Affairs and Stakeholder relations
- Develop and deliver a press and media strategy and manage the day to day running of the press office and contact with journalists
- Manage relations with key sector stakeholders
- Develop partnerships with external organisations
- Management of any agency support
- Work closely with the Head of Marketing and School Engagement and their team
- Deputise for Director of External Relations and take on other general responsibilities as required.
- Significant senior experience leading press and media work
- Excellent media and political insight and judgement
- Proven success managing high profile and sensitive senior relationships
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the education sector and journalists
- Desire to get stuck into delivery, working across all areas, in an exciting, fast-paced but small team
- Managing fast-paced, demanding and high risk areas of work
Please submit your CV and two short videos using the 'Apply to Position' link below.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 3 January 2021. Short, 30 minute first round interviews will be held (via video conferencing) from 11 January 2021. This will be followed by second round interviews with a task.
We are aiming for this role to start as early as possible in 2021.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.