Director of Shared Services
Title: Director of Shared Services
- Location: United States
Openly is one of the fastest-growing insurtechs in the country, building a next-generation insurance company from the ground up. We’ve launched our homeowners’ product with great success in five states and are looking to expand into twenty-five states by the end of 2021. We’re paying close attention to the way customers want insurance to work, and questioning the way things have been done in this industry for over a hundred years – everything from how insurance is quoted and sold, to the frustrating back-end operations that waste money. Insurance is filled with interesting engineering problems that need a fresh perspective. You can watch our Techstars 2018 Demo Day video to learn more about what we’ve built.
This isn’t something we’ve undertaken on a whim – the founding team brings executive-level experience from Liberty Mutual Insurance and Goldman Sachs, with mastery in actuarial science, computer engineering, math, and finance (MIT, Duke, and the University of Michigan). The rest of the team are key early hires who are experts in their respective fields of statistics, actuarial science, and engineering.
We’re backed by a select group of deeply knowledgeable and dedicated investors. Our seed round was led by Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund) and Obvious Ventures, a socially-minded top-tier VC behind companies like Beyond Meat and Medium, led our recent Series A.
Director of Shared Services
- Management Responsibilities:
- Develop, coach, and manage a team responsible for insurance shared service operations
- Serve as a subject matter expert on shared service operations, identify process improvement opportunities, and partner with leadership to prioritize solutions
- Remove roadblocks for the team and escalate when needed
- Promote a culture of feedback and transparent communication.
- Team responsibilities include:
- Accounts receivable activities such as processing of payments, reconciliation of bank accounts, and complex billings inquiries
- Quality assurance activities such as monitoring internal processes, reviewing agent processes, and building controls to support regulatory compliance
- Workforce management activities such as analyzing capacity and determining resourcing needs on an ongoing basis for the service team
- Underwriting activities such as inspection programs, risk selection process, and SLAs
- Operational administrative support activities such as sales data entry, creation of marketing materials, and monthly NPS reporting
- A successful shared services manager will communicate to build trust and take an active role in shaping the future of Openly’s operations team.
- 7+ years of professional experience in insurance operations desired.
- 3+ years of professional experience managing a front-line team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to multitask and manage work across multiple areas.
- Proven track record of taking ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous, dynamic environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and an analytical mindset.
- History of teamwork and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
- Competitive salary, equity position in a start-up company
- Generous medical, dental, vision insurance plans, 401k plus match, FSA benefits
- Generous and fully company-paid parental leave policy
- “Work-from-anywhere” company that has fully embraced remote working, even prior to COVID restrictions
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment