Operation SmileFull time
Nutrition Consultant (4 month term)
- Location: REMOTE
- Job Code: 654
- # of openings: 1
Operation Smile has provided hundreds of thousands of safe surgeries for those born with cleft lip, cleft palate or other facial deformities. With more than three decades of expertise, Operation Smile creates solutions that deliver free surgery to people where it’s needed most. As one of the largest medical volunteer-based nonprofits, Operation Smile has mobilized thousands of medical volunteers from a wide range of medical specialties from more than 80 countries. Operation Smile engages public-private partnerships to advance health care delivery, train local medical professionals to provide surgical care for patients in their communities, donate crucial medical equipment and supplies, and increase access to surgical care so that everyone living with cleft is treated.
Visit www.operationsmile.org , find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram.
All interested applicants should apply online at www.operationsmile.org/about-us/careers
Operation Smile is dedicated to increasing access to high quality surgical services in low and middle-income countries through a comprehensive set of education and program interventions. Increasing nutritional capacity for program countries and establishing a greater portfolio of nutrition interventions programs will support increasing complete care for patients and the ability to decrease patient barriers to receiving care. Hunger and malnutrition remain the leading threats to public health worldwide. As an organization we promise to help build an enabling environment to deliver robust holistic nutrition programs in order to ensure patients are fit to receive safe, timely, and effective surgical care. Operation Smile supports comprehensive cleft care through nutrition and feeding.
Our work to improve the health and wellbeing of our malnourished patients is based on three strategic objectives:
- Improve the nutritional status of our malnourished patient population through targeted early interventions, before 6 months of age.
- Increase knowledge on nutritious and safe foods that are available, affordable, and accessible, which will empower people to make healthy diet choices.
- Empower local community health workers, midwives, and healthcare workers through nutrition, breastfeeding, and WASH trainings to reach a wider population of cleft patients
The Nutrition Consultant’s specific responsibilities include:
The Nutrition consultant will work in close collaboration with the Nutrition Program Manager, designated medical volunteers, and program country staff to improve universal nutrition programs and protocol with the goal of increasing nutritional support for patients living with cleft lip and palate, especially within the first 6-months of life. The consultant will support the development of key programmatic documents to ensure they are rooted in safe nutritional practice. Additionally, the consultant will support the creation of nutrition-based education and training programs to scale reach of interventions with existing local infrastructure through deployment by community health workers, midwives, and other designated personnel.
Hours/Week: 4-month contract part time, weekly hours negotiable
- Develop 0-6-month nutrition protocol, specific to patients with cleft lip and palate, to be used by Operation Smile program countries to improve targeted early interventions
- Create key program documents including, but not limited:
- 0-6 month Cleft Lip and Palate feeding protocols
- Global Nutrition Guidance
- Nutrition program indicators
- Breastfeeding Technique Poster
- Nutrition and Feeding Training
- Design nutrition education strategy as part of Operation Smile’s broader education and training vision.
- Develop nutrition training packages, specific for patients with cleft lip and palate, to be deployed by Community Health Workers, Midwives, and other country-level partners
- Build nutrition modules to train in country staff around malnutrition in LMIC’s and challenges and opportunities.
- Review current nutrition programs, facilitated through service delivery, local partnership, and through the RUTF program, and develop report of recommendations to improve efficiencies in terms of cost, number of patients reached, and integration with local partners and governments
- Degree in Nutrition, registered Nutritionist status preferred.
- Minimum of 5-year experiences working with NGOs, Hospitals, or other entity with direct experience managing nutrition projects
- Experience working in nutrition programs in a Low- and Middle-Income Country(s), preferably humanitarian or service delivery context.
- Understanding of nutritional needs for pediatric populations and experience working within this realm.
- Experience in nutrition survey and assessments
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook)
- Highly proficient English reading, writing, and speaking abilities
- Experience working with patients living with cleft lip and palate.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Operation Smile
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, especially with global teams
- Strong writing skills with experience assembling reports, proposals, and grants preferred
- Ability to work in resource constrained environments