Head of Finance and Operations
Head of Finance & Operations (Full Time, Remote)
At CollegeSpring we equip schools and teachers with the tools to help students confidently prepare for the SAT and ACT. These tests are a critical part of college admissions, and every student deserves a chance to prepare. Yet test prep courses and private tutoring are often costly or hard to access. Our programs reduce this inequity by bringing high quality test preparation into schools. We build Test Confidence™ by training, supporting, and providing ongoing coaching to teachers at our partner schools to deliver the CollegeSpring curriculum to their students. Since 2008, CollegeSpring has helped provide school-day test prep to over 30,000 students in the San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California, and New York; during the 2020-21 school year, CollegeSpring launched programs serving every public high school in Detroit, MI.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Reporting to the CEO, the Head of Finance & Operations is a visionary, data-driven leader who is excited to leverage his/her/their financial acumen and operational expertise to build a more sustainable and mission-focused business model. She/he/they will oversee the financial management of CollegeSpring by ensuring the stability, accuracy, and integrity of its financial systems and reporting, align CollegeSpring’s resources to organizational priorities, and increase operational efficiency as CollegeSpring seeks to grow its impact in the years to come. The Head of Finance & Operations will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
This is a fantastic role for a leader who is excited to work collaboratively across teams to strengthen the internal capacity and infrastructure of a growing nonprofit. We understand that some applicants will be stronger in certain elements of this role than in other areas. Don’t let that stop you from applying! We are committed to your development and growth.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Lead a strategic Finance & Accounting function with optimized systems and operations to drive the financial sustainability and health of the organization.
- Direct CollegeSpring’s finance and accounting operations including leading the planning and implementation of the annual budgeting process;
- Develop the financial model for the strategic plan and update annually, working to achieve a balance amongst earned and contributed revenues;
- Create and present quarterly and year-end financials to various audiences including the Board, Finance & Operations Committee, Audit Committee, and staff
- Oversee financial forecasting and projections, and develop complex budgets as needed for public and private funding sources
- Manage and direct outsourced accountant and bookkeeper to ensure timely monthly close, financial reporting and accurate accounting operations
- Develop, track and report on key financial metrics to assess the overall health of the organization
- Work closely with the Head of Development & Communications and Head of Partnerships to build CollegeSpring’s revenue forecasts
- Review all formal finance, payroll, and IT related procedures to ensure compliance with all city, state and federal laws and ordinances
- Represent CollegeSpring in all fiscal matters with governmental agencies and funders, furnishing and exchanging information on complex financial, budgetary, or accounting matters
Oversee Human Resources function providing guidance on efficient and effective HR practices and policies.
- Advise on HR best practices around compensation, benefits, employee relations, etc.
- Establish, communicate, and interpret HR policies and procedures, and ensure compliance
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations
- Partner with the Chief of Staff and Human Resources Manager on establishing effective recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes
Ensure that organizational technology and systems are operating effectively and maximizing efficiency.
- Collaborate with outsourced IT provider and make recommendations for investments in technologies and systems that will help CollegeSpring carry out its work more efficiently
- Oversee smooth and safe operation of CollegeSpring facilities, manage relationships with CollegeSpring’s lessors, and negotiate all office leases as necessary
- Work in partnership with legal counsel to manage and minimize risk for CollegeSpring
HOW YOU’LL DO IT
- Communication Skills: You have strong writing skills, an excellent attention to detail, and the ability to anticipate questions and needs of audiences. You inspire, influence, and motivate people to action, support decision making and build relationships. You support others in building their communications skills.
- Relationship Building & Management Skills: You have a deep curiosity in learning about people and their needs. You are able to effectively collaborate with a lot of different personalities, power structures, and varying priorities. Exhibiting a high degree of emotional intelligence and awareness of self and others, you are able to be a true thought partner to stakeholders and add value to relationships. You support others in their relationship building and management skills.
- Strategic Thinking & Planning Skills: You identify priorities, brainstorm possible paths, dig into the data, and chart a path forward. You use strategic thinking to create plans, budgets, etc. to make our priorities and goals actionable and help us drive toward impact-focused outcomes.
- Data Analysis & Management: You translate user experience findings into strategic recommendations network-wide. You look at data from multiple perspectives in order to communicate and contextualize the data within a larger story or narrative. You support others in their data analysis and management skills.
- People Management Skills: You are an avid leader of people. You believe in the power of high-functioning teams and you understand how to mobilize people and resources toward a goal. You convey confidence in others’ ability to be successful, especially at challenging new tasks. You delegate and empower others, and understand how to embody many leadership strategies: directing, coaching, etc.
- As a member of the Leadership Team, you balance organizational, departmental, personal, and external priorities. You balance the micro and the macro and areble to strongly advocate and share your point of view but also able to buy into and communicate organizational decisions (whether the two are aligned or not). You are a team player with a dedicated commitment to strengthening the organization. You approach problems with a sense of ownership and you lead with solutions. You act when there are gaps, overcoming ambiguity to lead with clarity and agency, and you have decision making skills and are able to assess when to act, even if information is missing.
DETAILS ABOUT THE ROLE
- Compensation for this role is competitive and in alignment with senior nonprofit leaders in major U.S. markets. We will share the details of compensation for this role in initial conversations.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or advanced coursework in Finance and Accounting is preferred.
- This role reports directly to Yoon Choi, CEO, and works collaboratively with all members of the Leadership team, in particular the Head of Partnerships (sales) and Head of Development & Communications (fundraising). This role will also manage a Human Resources & Operations Manager and multiple outsourced contractors/vendors
- Compensation includes a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, retirement plan, and paid vacation/sick leave.
- CollegeSpring is committed to providing flexible working arrangements for parents, caregivers, and all team members, particularly given the ongoing pandemic.
- This role is remote and can be done anywhere in the U.S.
- We are actively working to build a diverse team; people of color, people from working class backgrounds, LGBTQ folks, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based upon gender, race, national origin, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or gender expression.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.