Curriculum Developer, English 9-12
Great MindsPart time
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced Part-Time Curriculum Developer, English 9-12.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 900 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
Remote. Some travel may be required. Approximately 5-8 hours weekly required for virtual meetings during business hours Monday - Friday, 9am-6pm EST.
Great Minds, a rapidly growing organization that develops world-class curricula for grades PK-12, seeks part-time curriculum developers. We are looking for experienced teachers, writers, and educators who are excited to help expand Great Minds’ English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, at the high school level. This part-time (approximately 20 hours/week) position is ideally suited to current teachers, with flexible hours that can be made to accommodate a working teacher’s school schedule. Curriculum Developers will work as part of a grade-level team to research, draft, and revise content to be used in high school classrooms. The ideal candidate possesses high school English content and pedagogical expertise, an understanding of intellectual rigor, passion for high quality curriculum, attention to detail, and the belief that every child is capable of greatness.
Reporting directly to the Managing Editor, the Curriculum Developer will be responsible for collaborating with both a smaller grade-level team (based on project needs and individual expertise) and a larger humanities curricular team to craft new curricular materials. While the work is remote and the ideal candidate will work well independently, this will also be a highly collaborative project, necessitating a strong sense of teamwork and cooperation. This is an exceptional opportunity for a smart, dedicated, and passionate individual to apply their skills to support the growth and mission of Great Minds.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Curriculum Developer duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate with grade-level and humanities curricular project team members to craft new curricular materials for high school level English curriculum
- Craft lessons that follow established Wit & Wisdom® standards and norms, that adhere to lesson format (i.e. lesson template, structure, and visual vocabulary), and that are consistent and coherent with those being developed across the grade spans
- Create modules within a larger scope and sequence that tell a comprehensive and rich story of both classic and contemporary literature and make connections to other academic disciplines
- Develop additional curriculum resources to enhance and enrich the content and pedagogy, ensuring all work is of the highest quality and reflects the Great Minds philosophy
- Help build scaffolds/accommodations to meet the needs of all learners, including English language learners, students with special needs, students performing below grade level, and students performing above grade level
- Work with Great Minds’ staff to ensure accurate content and presentation in a developmentally appropriate sequence
- Engage in the highest standard of writing and editing for all content, through the use of:
- Precise, academic language that reflects thoughtful instructional decision making and reflection on lesson and language efficacy
- Proofreading for accuracy and expression
- Openness to giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Implementation of revisions in a timely manner
· Follow the product life cycle for the project, completing the appropriate scope and sequence of work within the timeline required at each phase
· Collaborate effectively with other Curriculum Developers within and across grade-level teams on instructional decision making
- Embrace and exemplify an academic mindset that values drafting, development, review, and revision
- Adhere to a task- and deadline-driven work flow
Relevant Experience and Skills
- Deep content knowledge in English, Literature, or associated content area
- Superior writing ability and demonstrated editing skills
- Proficiency with or alignment to Wit & Wisdom’s instructional design and pedagogy
- Deep understanding of the Common Core Standards
- Demonstrated practice in helping students build evidence-based speaking and writing
- Curriculum writing experience preferred
- Experience as a classroom teacher or educator preferred
- Expertise in High School English content and pedagogy
- Understanding of how to develop a culture of intellectual rigor in the classroom
- Passion for the importance of high-quality curriculum
- Commitment to high standards, instructional quality, and continuous improvement
- Proficiency at both working independently and collaborating as part of a team
- Self-starter who is comfortable and productive when working remotely
- Appreciation for the challenges and victories faced everyday by classroom teachers
- Empathy, curiosity, and the desire to continually grow as a learner
- Positivity in all situations, bringing a can-do attitude to every task
- Deep belief that every child is capable of greatness
- If selected a background check will be required.
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.