Orthopedic Physician – Consultant
Cohere HealthFull time
Orthopedic Physician, Medical Reviewer – Consultant
What is Cohere Health?
Cohere Health is simplifying healthcare for patients, their physicians, and all those who are important in a patient’s healthcare experience. We are a fast-growing company obsessed with eliminating the wasteful friction the prior authorization process creates for patients and their physicians. To that end, our focus is to enable an efficient and transparent patient journey where patient goals and health outcomes are central to decision-making.
We’re recruiting high-quality physicians like you.
As an independent peer review physician at Cohere, you’ll help us deliver a high-quality peer to peer review experience via occasional collegial case reviews that average 15 minutes in duration. All on your schedule, from the convenience of your home, office, or anywhere you have an internet connection.
What is a peer to peer case review, and what role does the physician peer reviewer play?
- For potentially complex cases where a requesting physician disagrees with our determination, we offer an opportunity for the requesting physician to speak with a colleague in their specialty. During this brief conversation, you would be provided with a prepared case summary (~1 page) that includes Cohere’s rationale for the original denial decision. The purpose of this brief ~10 minute call is to provide the requesting provider a venue to share any additional context on the patient’s unique clinical or social situation they believe necessitates the service being requested.
- As a peer physician reviewer, your role is to solicit additional context not originally provided to Cohere, then we ask that you apply your independent clinical judgement to determine whether the original service request decision should stand (e.g. a prior auth service denial), or if an alternative outcome is appropriate given your assessment of the case on behalf of Cohere.
What type of cases should I expect to review?
- We aim to have >75% of cases assigned fall into your specific subspecialty (e.g. joint replacement surgery), and >95% fall into your general specialty area of practice (e.g. orthopedics).
- Cases may range from physical therapy and pain management to more complex surgical procedures of the joints, feet, and spine.
The time commitment can be minimal or more extensive — you set your on call availability.
Model #1- Minimal Time Commitment, As You’re Available:
- Ad hoc reviews assigned during your scheduled on call availability, compensated per case reviewed.
- On average, a physician reviewer commits to be available in 4 to 6 hour blocks, 1 to 3+ times per week (the “on call block”). During those on call blocks, we will schedule ~15-minute case reviews as demand exists, with no more than 3 per hour.
Model #2- Higher Intensity, Regularly Scheduled Commitment:
- Interested in committing more of your time on a set schedule, part time contracted hourly basis?
- Let us know and we can provide additional information on the minimum commitment and compensation rate.
We can’t wait to learn more about you and meet you at Cohere Health!