Senior iOS Engineer
Curiosity MediaFull time
Senior iOS Engineer
SpanishDict is on a mission to bring high-quality reference and educational products to every Spanish-English learner in the world. We’ve built the Internet’s most comprehensive database of Spanish-English translations and conjugations, and combined it with fun, interactive practice activities to help people learn vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and conversational skills. Every year, more than 100 million people improve their Spanish or English on SpanishDict, making it the world’s largest Spanish-English learning website. We are looking for an iOS engineer to play a lead role in developing the next generation of both our iOS and Android applications.
What types of projects do we work on?
- We developed 5-star iOS and Android applications used and loved by millions of users. Check out the reviews!
- We released a hands-free, adaptive voice Vocabulary feature, helping users accelerate their Spanish learning while doing other activities.
- We launched SpanishDict Premium, which offers exclusive content and features for our most dedicated learners, and dramatically increasing app revenue.
- We integrated pronunciation videos which allow our users to see and hear native speaker pronunciations of our most popular dictionary entries.
What will you be doing?
- Working with the apps team to build new features for our native iOS application.
- Learning Android development, and contributing to our native Android application.
- Launching two brand new apps to reach more English learners.
- Helping build and maintain our continuous integration pipelines, deploying our iOS and Android apps to production, and monitoring error rates for our releases.
- Keeping up to date with iOS and Android best practices and operating system updates.
- Improving the performance, reliability, and maintainability of both platforms.
What are we looking for in an engineer?
- Thoughtful problem-solving: You can decompose complex problems and work towards a clean and practical solution, by yourself or with teammates. You know what resources to use when you have questions, and you know when to ask for help when you get stuck.
- Ability to ship quality apps at scale: You can work with a team to build and maintain quality iOS apps with a large user base. You are proficient in Swift and have experience with UI, networking, and threading. Bonus point for having Android experience.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about the business impact of what you’re building, and you prioritize projects accordingly. You are not just going after new shiny technology —you understand the balance between perfection, speed, and the bottom line.
- Put users first: You think critically about the implications of what you’re building, and how it shapes our Spanish and English learners.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you are explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Team player: You understand when work is better, together. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you care about learning, growing, and helping others to do the same.
What’s the culture like?
- We’ve brought together a talented team that is down-to-earth, friendly, and driven to build products that people use and love.
- Our technology stack is state-of-the-art, and we pride ourselves on an engineering culture committed to data-informed decisions, focus on value, rapid iteration, broad test coverage, extensive automation, peer-reviewed code, and fast deployments.
- With fewer than 25 people in the company, every engineer on the team has a huge impact across millions of users and very low barriers to getting things done.
- We are remote friendly. We use video calls to communicate. Our employees are concentrated in Arlington, VA but our full team is distributed throughout the US and the World.
What are the perks?
- Competitive salary and amazing benefits
- 401(k) contributions
- Fully-paid health insurance
- Remote friendly culture
- A budget for conferences and classes
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.