Adjunct Instructor – Health Information Law and Ethics
Rasmussen CollegeFull time
Online Adjunct Instructor – Health Information Law and Ethics
- Job Category: Adjunct
- Requisition Number: ONLIN03942
Rasmussen College is a regionally accredited private college that is dedicated to changing lives and the communities it serves through high-demand and flexible educational programs. Since 1900, the College has been committed to academic innovation and providing the highest standard of education while empowering students to pursue a college degree. Rasmussen College offers Certificate and Diploma programs through Associate’s, Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs online and across its 23 Midwest and Florida campuses. A pioneer in online education, the College is helping lead advancements in innovations such as competency-based education and comprehensive student support services that help working adults advance their careers. The College is also committed to providing a positive impact on society through public service and a variety of community-based initiatives. For more information about Rasmussen College, please visit www.Rasmussen.edu.
A study of the impact of the United States legal system and various healthcare regulations and ethics on the health information management environment. Fraud and abuse, patient privacy and confidentiality, protected health information, release of information, and professional practice law and ethics will be explored.
Adjunct Faculty will report to an Academic Dean
Adjunct faculty members are primarily responsible for communicating with students and supervising Deans or other College staff related to teaching and learning. Faculty are expected to:
- Communicate both verbally and in writing with students in regards to feedback on student performance on a consistent basis throughout the course and as required by the Faculty Expectations
- Be available for students via phone, email and for individual appointments as needed for questions and academic assistance as determined and outlined in the Faculty Expectations
- Respond to Dean/College staff in regards to performance, student issues/concerns, or items needed for faculty file/accreditation needs in a timely manner
The essential function of the position include, but are not limited to the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities consistent with the function. The employee is expected to perform all other duties as requested, directed, and/or assigned. Adjunct faculty will be assigned up to 3 work units per academic quarter.
Teaching Effectiveness: Professionalism, Use of Technology, and Content Expertise:
- Dynamic, Active Classroom
- Use of effective teaching strategies and multiple teaching techniques; teaching and modeling appropriate level learning skills and creating an environment conducive to learning
- Creating high levels of student engagement through activities, community building, and student-centered learning including the use of live classroom tools to hold synchronous learning sessions with students
- Clarity, relevance, and connection of class session objectives to course performance objectives
- Organized classroom and efficient use of class time
- Subject Matter Expertise
- Demonstrate mastery and ability to articulate and relate to students
- Plan an integral role in the development and implementation of curriculum and assessment for their area of expertise
- Student and College Support and Professionalism:
- Faculty are responsible for creating a classroom presence in support of students in collaboration with their Dean
- Student support and outreach that supports the success of students is accomplished through faculty availability to students in all courses through synchronous or asynchronous communication and meetings to help students achieve the learning objectives for their course(s)
- Faculty Meetings and other responsibilities:
- Faculty will attend events, programmatic meetings, and committee work as agreed upon and or designated by the Dean
- Appropriate behavior, language, professional communication, demeanor and dress will be exhibited at all times.
- Professional Development
- Faculty must complete a minimum of six (6) Rasmussen Educational Units (REUs) annually or two (2) REUs per quarter for each quarter you teach (whichever is less) between the combined areas or Teaching Development and Development in Discipline on an annual basis as described in the faculty handbook
Experience and Qualifications:
- Teaching experience preferred. (Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of study)
- Self-motivated, flexible, and able to work in a team environment with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact with students, leadership, and peers.
- Excellent written communication and strong verbal communication skills in the English language.
- Online adjuncts will need regular access to a computer with the following system requirements
- Windows XP or greater
- Microsoft Office 2010
- An internet connection
Education, certifications and Licensures:
- Bachelors in Health Information Management, Health Information Technology, or Healthcare Management/Administration
- 3+ years work experience in the healthcare field
- Rasmussen College follows the requirements set by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, and the states in which the campuses operate.
- Must be able to provide professional licenses/certifications required for specialized schools (Health Sciences, Nursing) before teaching. License must be active and unencumbered. Licenses/Certifications required – RHIA or RHIT
- Must be able to provide official transcripts for each degree earned from an accredited institution before teaching.
At Rasmussen, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to supporting and encouraging diversity in the workplace. We welcome our employee’s differences regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, age, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
- Bachelor’s Degree or better in Healthcare Administration.
- Bachelor’s Degree or better in Healthcare Management.
- Bachelors or better in Health Information Management.
- Bachelors or better in Health Information Technolgoy.
Licenses & Certifications